The farm was first established in 1760 when the land was split off the 10,000 acre Mount
Carmel tract. In old documents, the homestead was known as "The Retreat". The original part of the house features
a large cooking hearth and narrow, winding staircase to a room upstairs. With each addition, a room downstairs
with a winding staircase to a room upstairs was added. The large addition with the Victorian porch was added
in around 1840 to 1850 when a wealthy man was the owner. The barn with the cupola was built around that time.
The original out-buildings have been painstakingly restored by the Petersons.